Menstrual Health: Self-Care on Your Period
Our self-care tips for your period are designed to help you feel your best.
During your period, you can feel like you’ve lost control of your body. There’s pain, bloating, unexpected leaks (from our vaginas and from our eyes) and brain fog caused by waxing and waning hormones. It’s a lot. That’s why it’s so important to go easy on yourself and prioritise self-care when on your period. We’ve gathered our favourite tips that’ll help you feel your best.
It might not sound as fun as sitting on the sofa with a box of chocolates, but we promise the long-term benefits are worth it. The increased blood circulation alleviates menstrual cramps and the endorphins help boost your mood.
- Choose yoga or light cardio like walking or leisurely cycling
- Keep endurance workouts for later in your period when your lungs perform better
- Drink plenty of water, especially if you bleed heavily
Remember, don’t feel like you have to work out during your period. If you want to skip a day, go for it.
Mindfulness & Meditation
Mindfulness is linked to all kinds of health benefits, and periods are no different. Because meditation helps you see your body with loving-kindness, it can help change attitudes toward menstruation. Not only can it help you feel at peace with your period, but meditation has also been linked with improving PMS symptoms like pain and water retention.
- Get comfortable on a chair or cushion then close your eyes or soften your gaze
- Focus on your breath. Think about where you feel it most. Is it in your stomach or nose?
- Keep following your breath, if your mind wanders, simply come back to your breath
- Do this for two minutes then slowly blink your eyes open
Bloom & Nora Reusable Sanitary Pads
Crinkly and clinical-looking disposables are totally depressing and the constant message of “you smell” from conventional period-wear brands wears thin, don’t you think? That’s why we created Bloom & Nora. Our feather-soft reusable pads are dreamy to wear and the beautiful patterned prints help you become period proud.
- Our reusable sanitary pads are free from fragrances and harmful chemicals (so no tell-tale smell)
- Choosing sustainable products helps you feel fulfilled and improves your mood
- Our award-winning pads perform better than disposables, so you can get on with your life leak-free
Opt for our Bloom & Nora Full Kit to convert to reusable sanitary pads in one go, or build up your fluffy stash slowly. There’s no right or wrong way to do it.
Warm Baths & Heat Pads
Caused by the muscular wall of your womb tightening, period pain usually happens around the time your bleeding begins. We love a warm bath on any day of the month, but during those painful cramping days, the heat can help ease the tension and muscle soreness. No time for a bath? Grab a hot water bottle or a heat pad to help relax your muscles.
- Add some Epsom salts to your bath for a magnesium boost
- Hot water bottles and heat pads provide targeted relief
When Mother Nature’s wreaking havoc with your body and ruining your mood while she’s at it, head into the great outdoors to remind yourself that she’s alright after all. It’s proven that going out in nature improves your mood, and you can even combine some of our other period self-care tips for a double dose of feel-good. (We don’t recommend having a bath outside though…)
- Walk mindfully among nature and focus on your senses
- Exercise outdoors to increase the production on endorphins
Self-Care Isn’t Selfish
Self-care is something that’s grown in popularity over the last few years, and we hope it continues to flourish. Of course, self-care on your period looks different to everyone and these tips might not suit your needs. During your period, remember to do whatever you need to do to recharge — including sitting on the sofa with a box of chocolates.